What you kneed to know about flexibility.
Flexibility is vitality. A flexible body carries a flexible soul. The decision to increase your body flexibility takes you on a journey. On the way to flexibility, you are allowed to deal intensively with your body. You learn to feel inside yourself, to be very intimate in yourself and with your body. It’s about you, not an outside distraction. The profound benefits of flexibility are, that you will acquire skills like:
- Trust in your body.
- Become grounded in your body.
- To be sure that your body will get where you want it to be.
- The certainty that your body is doing its best to serve you.
- Learn to truey love your body.
4. Pearls you want to know about flexibility!
1. Develop a feeling for the right pain.
There is good pain that increases your flexibility, you have to look for it. It feels like it is pulling and tickling. Then there is a bad pain that causes you injury (strain) that you need to avoid. It can appear in many variations, and it often gives a stinging or tearing feeling. Usually, you know when that is the case, the body sends you a warning signal in the form of the feeling “this is not so good”. Being able to distinguish the two pains is vital to profit from the benefits of flexibility!
2. Flexibility takes time.
For the majority of people, it takes months and years for the desired flexibility success to be visible. Honestly there is no way around it. Think in millimetres; every millimetre is a success! Don’t expect your body to stretch a millimetre more into flexible every day. Unfortunately, that’s not how it works. With regular, correct stretching, you can expect maybe a millimetre per month. The Benefits of flexibility are well deserved and earned treat!
3. Helpful factors to know about flexibility!
Everybody is different, and many small aspects play together when it comes to your body’s flexibility. Here are the factors that decide about your ability to bend your body, that you want to know about flexibility!
- Age, how old are you and in what condition is your body?
- Body type: are you the muscular type, or do you tend towards hypermobility?
- Body tension: are you always under stress, or are you naturally relaxed? Are you proficient in meditation?
- What sports did you do as a child? Are you one of those people who stretched weekly in ballet? Then you will still benefit from your early childhood ballet classes in old age. Or were you always active running, cycling and hiking without even thinking about stretching? In that case, your body will take more time to get elasticity into the fascia.
- Your DNA. How flexible you are also depending on which genes you have inherited.
- Your diet plays a role. Do you eat enough fresh plant-based food and drink still water? A body with a base milieu has a clear advantage over a sour celled body.
- How regularly you do something for your flexibility and with what intension you do the exercises.
4. The right exercises to profit from the benefits of flexibility
You have to consider all of the above factors when creating your flexibility routine. Find the right balance of active and passive stretches for you.
- Passive stretching is when you adopt a stretching posture so that you can hold it for a full minute. They are static figures such as sitting cross-legged for a minute. Go through all known stretching pose exercises every minute.
- Active stretching relies on moving and loading the stretched muscles. To do this, make lunges and go entirely into the yoga warrior pose. Let the steps get bigger and bigger in order to work your way into the stretch, millimetre by millimetre. The lunge can be extended all the way to the split step.
- Find your fun factor. Just playing down exercises on the mat becomes boring in the long run. Can you make flexibility, training friend (s), an acquaintance, your partner or your dog?
- Which music gets you in the mood, create a playlist.
- Reward your stretching activities by listening to an audiobook while you do it.
- Make yourself a delicious healthy snack as a start or end motivation.
- Varying time and place: morning yoga, afternoon stretching in the woods on the Vitaparkour or stretch in front of the TV in the evening. Everything is allowed.
- Implement exercises from different training cultures. Endurance athletes stretch differently than dancers and acrobats.
- Support your body with fascia rolls and terra bands.
Every healthy person can increase their flexibility and profit from the benefits of flexibility
I started stretching at the age of 26 without any previous knowledge of gymnastics, and today I can do the splits from the cold. It took two years to touch the ground with my pelvis doing the splits, and it took two more years for my body to do a split without having to prepare and warm-up for one hour per day. More than four years until the pain-free Split.
True benefits of flexibility!
I want you to know about flexibility, that it is a way of life and goes much deeper than touching the ground with your hands. So are the benefits of flexibility, your body becomes the tool to delicious
- courage and
- meaning in life.
If you would like support to start your flexibility journey. Feel stronger, encouraged and most of all amazed at the things your body is capable of! I will be happy to show you, how a 10 Minutes per day adjusted workout to your body’s abilities will leave you feeling lke a superwoman and make you feel like you could do anything!
Together we will see where you are, what you need and what the right exercises and aids are for you and your body.